July 20, 2008

We Become What We Think About Most

There is great wisdom in the idea that 'we become what we
think about most of the time'. The human brain is a goal-
seeking, problem-solving machine, and the things we think
about, focus on, and worry about inevitably shape our
destiny. We all know this, and yet most of us completely
fail to see (or seize) the opportunity.

Most of us know the computer engineering phrase, 'GIGO',
which usually stands for 'Garbage In, Garbage Out'. If you
give a computer false data or confusing instructions, it
dutifully processes the 'garbage' you put in and gives you
'garbage' back out.

In human terms, however, the phrase can also stand for
'Good In, Good Out'. I like that interpretation much
better!

This week I've been contemplating the things most of us
'put in' to our lives.

As I get older, I may be getting cranky, but there does
seem to be an amazing amount of garbage in our society.
This is the 'awards season' in the entertainment industry
and I see various people, movies, songs and shows being
nominated, and I'm amazed at the garbage that is being
considered 'the best'. Do real people actually watch this
stuff? Do we listen to it, or sit on our couches and bring
it into our homes?

More importantly, do we permit it to enter our brains?

This week, I also had several emails and conversations with
people who really inspire me. One woman, age 67, wrote
that she was considering canceling her subscription to TIPS
because she was no longer going to have any goals except to
'do what I want, have fun and leave this world a little bit
better.' I wrote back that I thought that was 'one of the
noblest goals I've heard in a long time.' I hope she's
still a subscriber!

I talked with a man who is leaving a lucrative law practice
to teach high school math. He'll earn less, but as he
said, '(our) kids are grown, our expenses are down, and I
think I can contribute more that way, than in the boardrooms
where I've spent most of my life.' He's pursuing a grand
dream, and my guess is he'll have the best (and perhaps some
of the worst) days of his life! And he'll know he's alive!
Whoopee!

Several years ago, Michael Clark, gave me a wonderful
phrase. He said, 'When you do what you love, you'll never
work another day the rest of your life.' I love that, and
have (usually) found it to be true.

Sure, some things frustrate me, and sometimes I frustrate
myself, and life throws a curve once in a while, but doing
what we love, what we're good at, and what fulfills us,
changes everything!

In my opinion, if you truly desire to live well, to achieve
much and (perhaps) to make some real money, consider these
two propositions:

1. Refuse to fill your time, your life or your brain with
garbage. Read the best stuff. Talk with the healthiest,
wisest, smartest, most ambitious people you can. Attend
the seminars, learn from the experts! Listen to amazing
music. Sit quietly and listen to the whisperings of your
heart. Laugh a lot. Worship often, and be grateful.

2. Do what you love. You will make your biggest
contribution when you passionately pursue your talents and
use your strengths. Martin Luther King, Jr. did many great
things, but perhaps his greatest moment came in Washington,
DC when he proclaimed, 'I have a dream!' We all remember
that, and millions have been inspired by it. What's your
dream?

Some of us can change jobs or move around the world
whenever we wish. For others, there are responsibilities
and obligations and things take more time, but in the end,
life is to be lived and it requires our very best. Life,
and true success, will never settle for anything less.


By Dr Philip E. Humbert

No comments: